Darwin says, "Could this actually happen? A request for confirmation on www.DarwinAwards.com went unanswered, but details were discussed. The incident occurred in Australia, home to many metal roofs, where repairs are often most easily accomplished using oxyacetylene welding instead of less volatile forms of electric-arc welding. Pure acetylene is explosive at a mere 15 pounds of pressure per square inch, and can also explode when exposed to air. So what happened here? One possibility is that our homeowner, blithely blow-torching the tank for the tack weld, heated it and created enough pressure to turn it into a giant bomb. Another possibility is that the weld weakened the tank enough to allow a leak, which exposed the acetylene to air: KABOOM. A third possibility is that the heat increased the pressure, which popped open relief valves, creating a blowtorch with a 6,000-degree (F) flame, easily hot enough to melt part of the roof and catch the wooden framing on fire. A fourth possibility is that the tank's relief valve turned it into a flaming rocket, which shot into the house and set the whole place on fire. The only sure thing is that the homeowner found a new home in the annals of the Darwin Awards.
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2017
Submitted by: Kev