Charles Darwin at a green chalkboard.

2000 Darwin Awards

Honoring Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool--by removing themselves from it in the most spectacular way possible.

Power Punch Proves Fatal
2000 Darwin Award Winner
Confirmed True by Darwin

(August 1999, Georgia) Ian was a fitness fanatic and self-employed electrician living in an English seaside town. He had recently converted one room of his cottage into a new gym. Among the weights and exercise equipment hung a punchbag, suspended from a chain from the ceiling.

Little did Ian realize that he had inadvertently managed to combine his hobby with his work After a Saturday night carousing with his cousin, Norton came home to show off his new gym. Leading the way, he switched on the lights and casually punched the punchbag. He was knocked to the floor by a bolt of electricity, and died instantly.

He had wired the power supply to the punchbag.

Norton's best friend said: "He was a brilliant guy. It's crazy that two major parts of his life contributed to his death."

You might say he was shockingly fit. © 1994 - 2022
Submitted by: Jeremy Cherfas, Vittal Aithal
Reference: London Evening Standard, Weston Daily Press

JJRON questions whether punching bags conduct electricity: "I doubt the validity of this story. A punching bag is not metal, and contains no metal other than the chain and hook attaching it to the roof. They are crummy conductors of electricity, so it is very unlikely he could get electrocuted, even if the bag was wired straight into the electricity. Unless, of course, you touch the metal fittings. But you wouldn't do that while "casually" punching it. And an electrician wired it into the power? Come on. Surely he would have been electrocuted while he installed the bag, if anything. If he had been electrocuted by hooking his weight bench into the electricity, I might believe it, but not a punching bag.


What do you think?
Join the conversation in progress.

Previous Directions Next