The Darwin Awards 
HOME
Darwin Awards
At-Risk Survivors
Slush Pile
2016 Darwins
Soaked To The Bone In Yellowstone
Masturbator Meets Hard End
iPhone Shocker
Her Sleep Number Was Up
Other Darwin Years 
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 Vintage
 
~ Random Story ~
Email Alert!
NEW! Gift Shop
Rules  Search
Contact Darwin
Submit a Story
Philosophy Forum
Home

  

Darwin Awards
2016 Darwin Awards
Email a Friend Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it. Next Prev Random

 
 
iPhone Shocker  
2016 Darwin Award Winner
Confirmed True by Darwin

(11 December 2016, England) Drop an iPhone into your bath water, no biggie, all you get is a nasty repair bill. But drop a charging iPhone into your bathwater...and suddenly coroners are demanding warning labels.

It is with chagrin that this writer, known to bathe while poking at her laptop keyboard, shares news of the explicable demise of Richard Bull and his iPhone. Mr. Bull, 32, plugged his charger into an extension cord and rested the charger on his chest while using the phone in the tub. He received severe burns on his chest, arm, and hand when the charger touched the water in his West London home, which mattered little as he was already dead from heart failure.

Those of us who plug into plugged-in electronics must heed the coroner's warning and take a breather in the loo. The sparky mix of electricity and water is a fact known to all, yet the doctor who conducted the iNquest plans to send a stern note to Apple. Perhaps one more warning label will solve our problem?

ORIGINAL SUBMISSION

"iWash I hadn't done that!" -Paul Seymour
"No Bull" -wR
"Did he leave any heir in the drain?" -Darwin
"Father Thomas Merton, a famous theologian, was electrocuted by an electric fan as he stepped out of the bath. Unfortunate as he was an intelligent and nice guy." -MasonK

SIDEBAR: "You're vulnerable in the bathroom." A laptop or mobile phone typically has a low voltage of 5V to 20V so you will not feel anything if it falls into your bath... as long as it is not charging. If it is charging up, you are at the mercy of elemental forces, and any safety factors that may be installed to save you from yourself.

notthebest  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  fresh
slownewsday   insightful
Share      

DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2017
Submitted by: paul seymour, Kenneth Pile, Jane Moore, and many others
Reference: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39307418

Previous Directions Next

Selected From The Darwin Awards Gift Shop @ Zazzle




Purchases Help Fund The Darwin Awards Team

 


Advanced Search

HomeRulesFAQsAwardsSlushSite Map
DarwinAward | HonorableMention | PersonalAccount | UrbanLegend