(29 January 2003, Brazil) At work, Manoel was responsible for cleaning out
the storage tanks of gasoline tanker trucks. He had been employed in that
capacity for two months when he ran afoul of fuel.
The 35-year-old began to fill a tanker with water, a standard safety
procedure that forces flammable vapor out of the container. He returned an
hour later to check whether the water level was high enough to proceed. But
he had trouble deciding, because it was so DARK inside the tanker.
A resourceful employee, Manoel forgot the very reason why he was filling
the tank with water when he lit a cigarette lighter to shed some light on
the situation. His little test successfully determined that the water level
was NOT yet high enough for safety. The vapor explosion launched him
through the air, and he landed in the company parking lot 100 meters away.
Manoel suffered severe burns, blunt force trauma, and an injury to the head
that exposed his brain. Our witless car washer had learned his terminal
lesson in safety by the time the firemen arrived.
Ten years subsequently another Brazil man exploded another tanker.
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012
Submitted by: Lucio Caleffi
Reference: O Estado de São Paulo, Folha de São Paulo Journal