(16 July, 2001, United States) An assistant plant
manager for Blacklidge Emulsions died when he used an
acetylene torch to cut a hole in a 10,000 gallon tank of
asphalt emulsion. He was attempting to visually survey the
amount of emulsion that remained in the tank, but "no
safety precautions were taken before the cutting operation
began," stated an OSHA representative. "[His] attention was
twice called to a warning sign on the side of the structure
which stated the contents were combustible. In complete
disregard of safety procedures," the erstwhile manager "lit
an acetylene torch and began cutting, causing an explosion
that blew him 93 feet away.
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012
Submitted by: Jon Kade, Matt
Gary Arbuckle, Chris Stockard, Dave
Reference: CCH Employment Safety & Health Guide Issue
Regional News Release, Mississippi Sun Herald
"One less administrator? Survival of the species... at its best!
"Good thing he doesn't work for us!"
"That's what I call 'having a blow.'"
"Managers are NOT immune!"