Mummy Says, Don't Smoke
1998 Darwin Award Nominee
Confirmed True by Darwin
Another Reason to Kick the Habit
(31 October 1998, Canada) For Halloween this year, a Canadian man
dressed as a mummy by wrapping himself from head to toe in fluffy cotton
batting. The cotton was taped at the wrists and ankles, and white gloves
and running shoes completed his ensemble. As the mummy waited for his
girlfriend to dress for pictures, he carelessly lit a cigarette... and the
fluffy cotton burst into flames.
The reason for flame-retardant costumes became clear.
Firefighters arrived within minutes, yet already the mummy costume was
reduced to ashes, right down to the white coveralls underneath. The man
kept repeating, "It's my fault." He was taken to Soldier's Memorial
Hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns, where he died the next morning.
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012
Submitted by: Joanne Kaplinski, Deon du Plessis
Reference: Orillia Packet and Times Newspaper, Renata D'Aliesio of the Toronto Star