I keep getting emails like THIS: "Clearly not true! Pop-up thermometers in turkeys are spring loaded with a dab of glue that holds the spring, which dissolve at 160 degrees Fahrenheit." And "My turkey thermometer has no liquid in it! They are made of a bimetallic zinc/copper strip."
Darwin says, "Uh... There are *three* kinds of turkey thermometers, folks. The one-time use melt triggers, the bimetallic strips which are perfectly safe for oven use, and THE KIND WITH RED OMINIOUS LIQUID. Just because *yours* is not dangerous, doesn't mean THIS bird wasn't polluted with exploded glass and unidentified red liquid chemicals. Still... perhaps this was just hungry people taking a chance..."
Wade says, "The mysterious red liquid in thermometers is alcohol with red colorant. Much safer than mercury, in the case of breakage. But still not a good thing to ingest."