The Darwin Awards

2018 At-Risk Survivor

Next Prev Random At-Risk Survivors have misadventures that stop short of the ultimate sacrifice. Nevertheless we salute the spirit of their colossal blunders with an Honorable Mention. Better luck next time!

Connecticut Candlestick
2018 At-Risk Survivor
Confirmed True by Darwin

(6 September 2018, Connecticut) After confusing a stick of dynamite with a wax candle, a woman was hospitalized for extreme burn injuries. How did it happen that she accidentally sparked up a quarter-stick of dynamite?

Well, Home Depot was closed during a power outage, so the woman went down into the basement to rummage around in search of a light. In the junk left behind by the house's former owners she found what she was looking for - a rod-shaped object with a fuse. What a relief, now the darkness would be banished ... and, Ka-boom!

The woman survived lighting the dynamite like a roman candle - no Darwin Award - yet with wits like that, does she not deserve an Honorable Mention? Or should we agree with the local Fire Marshall who called it a tragic accident? Would an average five-year-old know better than to light that "wick"? Or were the careless former residents at fault for leaving a blasting stick in the basement?

"Honorable Mentions" are awarded to survivors of a misadventure that stops short of the ultimate sacrifice. A consolation prize, a better-luck-next-time badge. Please vote on whether the Connecticut Candle wins the honor.

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2018
Submitted by: Kenny Jones and Bob Bilicki
Reference: turnto10.com, People.com, breitbart.com

Previous Directions Next
[an error occurred while processing this directive]