The Darwin Awards

2004 At-Risk Survivor

Next Prev Random At-Risk Survivors have misadventures that stop short of the ultimate sacrifice. Nevertheless we salute the spirit of their colossal blunders with an Honorable Mention. Better luck next time!

Exploding Outhouse
2004 At-Risk Survivor
Confirmed True by Darwin

(13 July 2004, West Virginia) A Blacksville man decided to light up a cigarette while relaxing in a portable outhouse, inadvertently demonstrating one more reason to give up the habit. According to a spokeswoman for Monongalia Emergency Medical Services, the methane in the porta-potty "didn't take too kindly" to the lit cigarette, and expressed its displeasure by exploded in a fireball.

The man, whose identity was withheld "due to privacy policies," was able to drive himself to a nearby health center. Emergency workers declined to reveal whether the man's injuries (although not "life-threatening") were serious enough to remove him from the gene pool.

  0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
   
                                   
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2017
Submitted by: Chris Kelly
Reference: The Dominion Post

Share
Previous Directions Next