The Darwin Awards

2003 At-Risk Survivor

Next Prev Random At-Risk Survivors have misadventures that stop short of the ultimate sacrifice. Nevertheless we salute the spirit of their colossal blunders with an Honorable Mention. Better luck next time!

Blowtorch and Gunpowder
2003 At-Risk Survivor
Confirmed True by Darwin

(8 July 2003, Moore Township, Pennsylvania) An unidentified 16-year-old boy, and only that boy, was taken by surprise when a bowl of blackpowder blew when it was heated with a blowtorch. At first, he had tried to ignite it with a grill lighter, but when that failed, he decided a blowtorch would do a better job. About that, he was right: the flash was awesome indeed.

The blackpowder explosion caused severe burns to his face, and he admitted to some pain after the jarring incident. "He made a foolish decision and suffered the consequences," said the police chief. This was not the lad's first lesson with gunpowder. A neighbor confided, "He lost one finger to a firecracker accident a few years ago."

Reader Comments:
"The title alone should tell you nothing good will come of this."
"Pyromaniacs pay close attention."
"This story reminds me of your brother. How is he?"
"I think I'll go powder my nose."

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2018
Reference: Express-Times

Share
Previous Directions Next