(11 April 2004,
Pompano Beach, Florida) Harry, 44, and Richard, 47, narrowly avoided
earning a double Darwin when they accidentally blew up their fishing boat.
They had stopped at a gas station to fill up the boat's gas tank.
Unfortunately, they put the nozzle into one of the fishing-rod holders
instead of into the gas tank, sending fuel throughout the boat. With
gasoline sloshing around in the bilge and forming a vapor cloud, the two
men drove merrily on, looking forward to a great day of fishing.
They launched the boat, and the boat floated quietly in the calm
water--until they pushed the starter on the engine. The spark from the
engine instantly ignited the vapor cloud surrounding the men. The force of
the blast knocked them both to the deck. The 26-foot boat was engulfed in
flames and destroyed, along with part of the nearby dock. Firefighters
spent 10 minutes trying to control the blaze.
Harry was treated and released from the emergency room. Richard was
transferred to the burn unit, and released the next day. "It certainly was
a horrible lesson to learn about boating," said the Pompano Beach
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012
Submitted by: Jerry Taylor
Reference: wftv.com, Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, St. Petersburg Times