(December 2008, Florida) The District Chief of the Jacksonville Fire Rescue
Department reports, "An engine company sent a request for us to extinguish
a routine trash fire. The Lieutenant said, 'You gotta see this.' An
intoxicated group of men had decided that throwing paint cans into their
55-gallon drum fire was fun, but not fun enough. They escalated the
excitement by tossing in not one, but three 20-pound propane cylinders.
Partially-empty cylinders are actually more dangerous than full ones
because they cannot absorb as much heat prior to venting or exploding. The
fun went south when one cylinder violently vented toward an unfortunate
reveler. I cannot reveal the patient's name due to HIPPA laws, but he was
transported to a burn unit for attention to his 'party favors.' I
understand that the gene pool is still at risk from these rocket
scientists, as the close call was not fatal.
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2017
Reference: Personal Account by Chip Drysdale