Copycat stunt injures youth
2003 Reader Submission
Pending Acceptance
http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews/stories/071902dntexstunt.811a0.html
Midland teen burned in 'human barbecue' trick based on MTV show
07/19/2002
By MANYA BRACHEAR / The Dallas Morning News
Reality TV can yield a grim reality.
A 17-year-old Midland youth was in critical condition with severe burns
Thursday after he and his buddies tried to duplicate a stunt called the
"human barbecue" aired on the former MTV extreme-reality show Jackass,
authorities said.
With a video camera running, friends at a weekend party doused Jonathan
Scott Perry with lighter fluid. One lighted a match and set him afire.
"This was absolutely horrible," said Midland
County Sheriff Gary Painter. "There was no
reason for them to do this kind of stupid stunt.
I've seen people burned and pull stupid
pranks. I've never seen it to this point. This
young man nearly died."
As Jonathan remained in critical condition at
University Medical Center's burn unit in
Lubbock, suffering from severe burns to his
chest and back, the three teens who helped
stage the stunt were charged with aggravated
assault.
Jackass has been criticized since its debut in 2000 for unintentionally
inspiring impressionable young viewers to emulate its daring stunts. The
show includes prominent disclaimers that stunts should not be imitated by
viewers.
Controversy over copycat injuries previously stemmed most prominently
from big-time professional wrestling on television.
In the MTV show's "human barbecue"
prank, the show's star dresses in a
flame-retardant suit and sets himself on
fire to cook steaks. It has spawned at
least four copycat incidents since January
2001.
The first incident, in which two Connecticut
youngsters poured gasoline on their
friend, prompted Sen. Joe Lieberman,
D-Conn., to demand programming changes.
MTV declined to change the format but moved the show to a later time
slot. The channel also quit airing the show multiple times through the
week. The show's final season ended last August, and MTV has aired
reruns ever since. It soon will begin promoting Jackass the Movie –
including stunts supposedly too outrageous for television – scheduled for
release Oct. 25.
Critics note that the controversial film The Fast and the Furious had teens
roaring around turnpikes at dangerous speeds. MTV may need to brace for
more criticism when Jackass hits the silver screen, they say.
A spokeswoman for MTV has been designated the point person for anti-
Jackass calls.
"While we don't accept responsibility, obviously we feel horrible when a
younger person does something to hurt themselves," said MTV's Marnie
Malter. The statement was identical to one she issued after the previous
copycat incidents that ended in injury.
Ms. Malter noted that the show airs disclaimers warning that Jackass
stunts should not be imitated. The show is aired late at night and carries a
warning that it's for mature audiences.
Midland County District Attorney Al Schorre, who watched the teens' video
of the stunt, said it opened with general conversation among young
people about the "human barbecue."
The next five minutes consisted of chatter and preparation. The teens
dragged out a fire extinguisher, a wet blanket and a garden hose.
Dressed in a loose-fitting T-shirt and pants, Jonathan stood in the yard
while his three friends doused him with lighter fluid. With a wet T-shirt
held up to his face, he stood in silence while one teen lit a match, Mr.
Schorre said.
Even engulfed in flames, Jonathan didn't scream.
About 10 teens stood around and watched the stunt unfold, Sheriff
Painter said.
"No one stepped in and got between him and the match ... and said, "You
need to think about this,' " Sheriff Painter said. "None of that occurred.
They are just as culpable as the three that were arrested."
Investigators will re-examine the tape to determine whether any of those
teens can be charged as accomplices.
Although Jonathan was a willing participant, Eva Marie Cedillo, 17, Casey
Tim Owens, 18, and Monroe Rathbone, 17, face charges of aggravated
assault.
Once the flames were extinguished, the three teens dropped Jonathan off
at a hospital and then went to find his mother. They surrendered to
authorities Wednesday.
Mr. Schorre said he had been told that the videotape was intended to be
submitted to the TV network.
"MTV insists that our viewers do not send in any home footage of
themselves or others being jackasses," Ms. Malter said.
In fact, any videotapes that are submitted are immediately discarded and
never opened, she said.
Experts say it's unfair to pin the blame for such incidents solely on a TV
show. The responsibility also falls on parents to guide young people's
viewing habits, said Dr. Douglas Gentile of the National Institute of Media
and Family.
"It's hard to control the media diet of teenagers," he said.
Bob Thompson of the Center for the Study of Popular Television said
censorship is not a practical option either, because TV's impact should not
be treated as a public health hazard.
"I certainly don't want to defend Jackass," he said. "When you begin to
try to address the impact of something that goes to millions and millions of
people, we'd be reduced to silence."
E-mail: mbrachear@dallasnews.com Submitted on 07/19/2002
Submitted by:
Mac M. Hopkin
Reference:
Dallas Morning News 19 Jul 02
Copyright © 2002 DarwinAwards.com
|