(15 August 2000, Australia) I work for the Canberra Fire Brigade. One of the more interesting jobs I've attended was an explosion called in at 1:30AM one morning. We found an abandoned pub that had collapsed into wreckage. On the third day of removing debris, we located a Darwin Awards contender beneath the rubble, and worked out what had happened.
The man was a licensed plumber who wanted to save money on supplies. He was inside the old pub, cutting sections of copper pipe, when he inadvertently sliced through the gas main and sparked a huge explosion which sent glass and roof tiles hurtling as far as 500 meters away.
Shouldn't a plumber know the difference between a water pipe and a gas main? Saving a few bucks cost him his life!
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012
Submitted by: Anonymous
Reference: Canberra Times