The Darwin Awards 
HOME
Darwin Awards
At-Risk Survivors
Slush Pile
2000 Personals
One Cool Dude
Excellent Adventure
Emergency Room Excitement
Medic!
Man With Gas Can
Dead as a Doda
5 Soldiers 6 Police 0 Brains
My Friend John's Testis
Why I'm the Last of Nine Children
Eat the Young
Feces Pieces
A Clean Toilet
Why Kids Leave the Farm
Lawnmower Mechanics
It Gets Worse...
Cesium Initiative
Fill 'er Up!
Is it Loaded?
Final Flick of Bic
Compacted Ignorance
Extensible Aluminum Stave
Robot Reaper
Bug Repellent
Bicycle Blues
Brush with Stupidity
Prop Arc Safety
Surprise Flush
Pop Like a Grape
A Darwin Dog
Round Lake Short Cut
Man Versus Mower
Tourist Trap
Testing the Waters
The Egg Factory
Bye Bye Birdie
Brewery Mishap
Instant Sunrise
Other Personal Years 
2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 Vintage
 
~ Random Story ~
Email Alert!
NEW! Gift Shop
Rules  Search
Contact Darwin
Submit a Story
Philosophy Forum
Home

  

Darwin Awards
2000 Personal Accounts
Email a Friend The Darwin Awards salutes the spirit portrayed in the following personal accounts, submitted by loyal (and sometimes reluctant) readers. Next
Prev
Random

 
 
Brewery Mishap  
2000 Personal Account

(May 2000, Australia) My great-uncle worked at a brewery in Melbourne around the turn of the century. Whilst inspecting one of the vats, he lost his footing and fell headlong into the vat. This is more dangerous than it sounds. Beer contains ethanol, which has a lower density than water. He was unable to swim to the surface, drowned before rescuers could assist him. The worst thing about it, they say, is that the entire batch of beer had to be thrown out with him. Quite true.

DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2012

Submitted by: Vile

Some readers say it isn't true:

denis
"You could not drown in beer... Beer always has a specific gravity greater than 1.0 (water) and even strong ales with 10% or better alcohol are not even close to 1.0.."

Darwin:
Water has a higher specific gravity than alcohol. One milliliter of alcohol has less mass than one milliliter of water. The science is that water molecules attract each other very strongly because they are so polar, so it is more dense than other ingestible liquids.

brent
"This Personal account may be true but I have heard this story repeated for many years in the form of a joke. "He bravely fought off his co-workers who were trying to rescue him, and he climbed out three times to use the toilet.

"Incidentally, there is only 4% ethanol in beer, the rest is water (96%) so I doubt that someone falling in would be unable to swim. Having toured a brewery and looking into (and smelling) the vats, I also doubt that they would throw out a batch just because someone went for a swim in it - probably sell it at a premium for the extra body..."

Another reader:
"I do know that gases are propagated within the solution during the brewing process. This could create an event similar to a situation that has caused ships to sink. As I recall, pockets of methane gas rise from the seabed creating an area of water around the vessel that is sufficiently less dense to make it sink. If there was enough gas in the beer, it may have been that "dense" person hence sunk...?"

What do you think?

Awful? 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Great?
Hate it! Love it!
Previous Directions Next

Selected From The Darwin Awards Gift Shop @ Zazzle




Purchases Help Fund The Darwin Awards Team

 


Advanced Search

HomeRulesFAQsAwardsSlushSite Map
DarwinAward | HonorableMention | PersonalAccount | UrbanLegend